It is an honor and a privilege to serve those who are living with "their backs up against the wall." When a faith community chooses to intentionally get up and go out and be present with those who are experiencing homelessness and 'houselessness' they are usually the one's being blessed more so than those served. Deciding to do this does not take month long planning, only the desire to stop talking and begin to do.
Certainly their is nothing wrong with donations made to your local food bank. But their is nothing more meaningful to those in the margins of despair than the a TOUCH from a hand, a hug from a friend and a portable lunch and bottle of water.
HoH will show your faith community how to effectively begin a ministry that serves the homeless. Initially, it seems a bit daunting, perhaps even frightening but eventually you will find this ministry to so spiritually enriching to both the servant and the served that you will wonder why you did not engage sooner.
To Begin you need the following:
- An open mind
- A servants heart
- A desire to embrace what is difficult
- An ability to work through making mistakes
- Brown paper bags
- Bread and sandwich meat [turkey and ham]
- Individual bags of chips,cookies and bottles of water
- Zip lock bags for condiments, napkin and a mint
- Zip lock bags for hygiene kits [toothpaste, floss, lotion, soap and sanitary napkins]
For more information or to receive training through shadowing, contact firstname.lastname@example.org